OnlyPRIOR TO PICK-UP
1. Please visit our Feline Nutrition page and order Life's Abundance DRY Cat food with rice formula, and get on Autoship to save 20% to assure you'll have a consistent supply, without interruption. When kitten reaches 8-12 months, change to the GRAIN FREE formula. You may call them at any time to make initial adjustments until the feeding schedule is worked out.
2. Also, order a jar of NUVET PLUS POWDER, which is the best way to add nutrition and will deeply support your kitties immune system. Sign-up for autoship and save 20% (use Code 49675). Their vitamin product which increases the kittens health at a very key point; by replacing the nutrients that are cooked out of dry food. Be assured that as long as you use this very important, high quality product, your kitten will stay in optimum health. It's recommended by vets and top breeders.
3. Visit a feed store (that sells hay for horses) or hardware store during the winter months and purchase a 40# bag of WOOD PELLETS (for pellet stoves) to be used as litter. Otherwise, we recommend SWheat clumping. Never use regular clumping litter because they have chemicals and are risky for kittens. Keep in mind that switching litter can sometimes cause upsets and inappropriate accidents out of the box, so stay with the pellets for a couple of months. With the change in residence and owners, travelling to a new destination, and often, no siblings to play with anymore, kittens are highly suseptible to stress related health upsets. With the two basic needs; food and litter being kept the same, it establishes security and will help the kitten adjust faster and prevent upsets.
4. Order Chicken & Liver Pate wet food from Onlynaturalpet.com. Free shipping when ordering by the case along with the probiotics listed below.
5. Order Only Natural Pet Complete Gut Health powder for probiotics.
Cats of all ages tend to shut down and go into "slow mode" during travel. A new kitten, even an outgoing, gregarious one, may seem shy when they first arrive. Partly this is a coming back to full speed process and partly being faced with a multitude of new experiences all at once. Start the kitten out in a small space that can be just theirs for a few days. A bathroom connected to your bedroom or other quiet place is good. They should have a litter box, water and food available, a night light and a space heater in the winter months so that they don't get a chill. A secure bed is a good idea; the carrier that the kitten travels in is a good choice if there is space for it. As the kitten settles in, open the door and let him explore nearby rooms a little at a time. If kitten seems ready, you may bring it out into the common area in limited visits, and if it seems upset, take back to safety.....
As the kitten starts exploring, show them the way back to their litter box often. All our kittens are litterbox trained, but little ones can get lost at first. If you have a large home, a kitten may need a litter box in more than one location. Especially in a two story or larger home, the way back to the litter box can seem daunting and they can easily forget, which encourages accidents, which we want to prohibit from occurring. Fill the litter box only 2" deep, capturing stool in a timely manner, then dumping when half the litter has turned to sawdust.
Do You Really Know What’s in Your Cat’s Litter Box?
As long as your cat accepts her litter box, chances are you don’t give it much extra thought. If the litter is easy to keep clean, affordable and odor-free, it’s a winner, right? You may be surprised to discover what else may be lurking there... (READ MORE)
If there is another cat in the household, keep them separate for a few days. A good way to introduce the local cat to the newcomer is to let them play "footsie" under a door for awhile. Then let the old cat meet the new cat on the new kitties secure territory. Cats may take some time to become acquainted, but they usually work it out successfully.
When the kitten first arrives, fresh water and dry food are a good start, preferably in flat bottom & sided ceramic type material, as plastic can cause feline acne on their chins from rubbing against it.
Do not start feeding kitten canned or wet food for the first two weeks, while they acclimate to the new environment. If the diet is changed suddenly, intestinal upsets will occur & CAN BE HARD TO CLEAR UP. Make sure they have a designated feeding area and show them several times a day, until they know where it is located.
A good way to introduce a kitten into the new home is to put it in its carrier and sit the carrier in the middle of a living room. The kitten will hear and see everything & get used to the new smells and noises, and once they are acclimated, they will want out. Open their door and let them explore the area. They can always run back to their safe carrier if they need to.
If they have a quiet spot to hide in, they may do that for awhile, but kittens are kittens and they are going to come out and play. They love a quiet pet and snuggle while they are getting acquainted. If they get scared, a little loving works wonders. In our experience, a week or so will acclimate a kitten to even the noisiest household.
KICK BACK & CUDDLE KITTY
Study after study shows that spending time with a gentle cat quashes tension and sends our spirits soaring! That's because pets ward off loneliness, slash our stress levels, and increase production of the good-mood brain chemicals prolactin and oxytocin!
DELIVERY POSSIBLE within California (extra fee)
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.